The pairing has received several nods in canon from Butters' side, but not generally from Cartman as it is generally implied that he is in love with himself.
- See also: Category:Fanfiction involving Buttman
Cartman and Butters seem to normally pair up in many situations, due to Trey Parker and Matt Stone's favoritism for the characters, even though Butters has become Cartman's most frequent bullying victim (although typically more a minion in his schemes.) Butters sees Cartman sometimes as a friend and treats him as so. Often when Cartman is injured or sad in numerous episodes, Butters will appear at his bedside to comfort him and make him feel better, even when Cartman chides him. Butters also seems to be the only child that calls Cartman by his first name, "Eric", besides Jimmy Valmer.
Additional moments fans cite as evidence of the pairing are as follows:
- In "Proper Condom Use", the boys accuse Cartman of looking at Butters' penis while the other boy put his condom on.
- In the episode "Casa Bonita", Cartman deceives Butters into thinking the apocalypse came and hiding in a bomb shelter. Thinking Cartman is saving his life from cannibals, Butters thanks him and says, "I love you."
- In a fake "Previously, on South Park" in "The Return of Chef", Cartman is seen expressing himself to Butters and crying because he was going to miss Chef.
- In "Cartman Sucks", Cartman takes a picture of himself with Butters' penis in his mouth overnight to get him in trouble, when he didn't realize it would make only himself appear gay and not Butters.
- In the episode "Tonsil Trouble", Butters gives Cartman a kiss on the cheek, and promises that he won't treat him any differently even though he has AIDS.
- In "Super Fun Time", Cartman and Butters are partners for a tour of a Pioneer Village and Butters refuses to let go of Cartman's hand, though it is probably because Mr. Garrison told Butters to keep hold of Cartman's hand until they get to the bus.
- In "The Ungroundable", though Butters is just trying to "feed", he ends up giving Cartman a hickey. Even his parents asked him, "Did you get gay with your friend last night?"
- In "Canada on Strike", Cartman writes and directs the gay song/music video "What What in the Butt" featuring Butters.
- In "Coon 2: Hindsight", Cartman's plan to blackmail Captain Hindsight involves taking naked pictures of Butters dressed up as Courtney Love. Mosquito and Mintberry Crunch find this suspicious.
- In "The Fractured But Whole" video game, Cartman has a secret notebook featuring various crude drawings of Butters involved in sexual acts with other characters.
- Cartters - Cartters fanclub on DeviantART
|Big Gay Slave | Bip | Bosse | Bratters | Bunny | Carken | Carteek | Cartyde | Chip | Christowelie | Clenny | Clutters | Clyle | Craiman | Cravin | Creek | Crenny | Cromas | Cryde | Cryle| Cutters | Damnny | Deeman | Dip | Dole | Dougers | Dristophe | Dweek | Dyle | Feke | Garrislave | Grestophe | Ikeman | Ikyle | Jiman | Jimed | Jitters | K2 | Kavid | Kenman | Ketman | Kyket | Kyky | Kyman | Kyrisson | Kystophe | Kyutters | Peek | Ranald | Randan | Staig | Standon | Stanman | Stary | Stenny | Stike | Stoken | Stolovan | Stradley | Stunny | Stutters | Styde | Style | Terrillip | Tim-Jim | Tokeek | Totters | Toyle | Trutters | Twenny | Tyde | Vampete|